Thursday, October 29, 2015

Pre-Halloween

I think it's pretty funny there's even a holiday for this.
I mean, holidays have their roots in togetherness and tradition. I can confirm that there is very little 'tradition' involved in Halloween.
Halloween started out as 'Sahwin', a "holiday" celebrated in Ireland that was pretty much an excuse to say up late and have a bonfire. When I looked up Sahwin, a source stated that the fires supposedly attracted bugs that bats ate, in turn sending swarms of bats toward the villages.
Why this would be beneficial for the villages I don't know.
Today, "Halloween", or "All Hallows Eve", is an excuse to stay up late and have bonfires, but with the added benefit of getting candy. There is no tradition hidden within the folds and I simply have no idea why we even celebrate it.

Rant over.
~Sam
P.S, Annie, a bunch of drafts got deleted today, and I don't know what happened. Might've been my fault, I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to Team Firefly! We're really happy you want to comment, as we always appreciate other people's thoughts.
There are, however, a few rules.
1. No profanity. This means no swearing, inappropriate topics, or anything over PG-13.
2. No spam. This is a no-brainer.
3. No link shorteners.

Thanks for checking out our blog!